Friday, April 27, 2007

Okaaaaayyyyy ...here's one for Rae!


I read on an American health and fitness forum about the release of "Diet Coke Plus" which is fortified with vitamins and minerals.



According to the nutritional label, Diet Coke Plus includes 25% of the recommended daily allowance of niacin (vitamin B3), vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 as well as 15% of the RDA for magnesium and zinc in each 12-ounce serving. It is sweetened with an aspartame/ACE-K blend that has become the industry norm for just about every diet drink nowadays.Attempting to get a leg up on their primary competition--Pepsi-Cola North America--as that company is set to release their own diet "energy" drink called Diet Pepsi MAX in June 2007, Coca-Cola North America is seeking to provide their loyal consumer base with a diet soda product that will serve as a supplement to their healthy diet, according to Coke's senior VP Katie Bayne.“Consumers, including Diet Coke drinkers, are increasingly looking for more beverage options, and we wanted to offer them the convenience of a calorie-free beverage that is a good source of several essential vitamins and minerals, and one that delivers on the great taste that they have come to expect from us,” she said.


All I can say folks, be very afraid, very afraid :)

Eeewwww.

7 comments:

stacytoby said...

oh...my..god... what will they come up with next. I am an avid hater of coke. Four years ago I swore it off after being told it was causing my reflux... aka it was eating holes in my stomach! I can't stand the thought of people thinking this stuff will actually be 'good for them', I mean, its the best thing to get oil off driveways... why would you wanna put it in your tummy?

Magda said...

I know its bad for me ..... but I just love Diet Coke. Oh well as long as I keep my intake to about 1 can/small bottle / week - average - then I'll live with that much "sin".

Great article though!!

Cheers Magda

LizN said...

Hi STacy :) Yes I believe Coke is a good toilet cleaner too ;)

Magda, I love Diet Coke,but found myself drinking too much of it. So I had to stop myself cold turkey. I miss it, but my teeth are thanking me for it.

Hugs
Liz;)

Kek said...

I've never really liked sweet drinks - they just seem wrong to me. Desserts should be sweet, drinks, nuh-uh.

This whole fortified diet Coke thing makes me ask: what's wrong with getting your vitamins etc from VEGETABLES?? Of course, this couldn't just be an attempt by Coca-Cola to suck in the health-conscious consumer and make a truckload more money....

Cynical? Who, me?

LizN said...

I'm with you...I'm not the least bit cynical about this :)

Flea said...

Sounds eeewww to me to, but I do drink a diet coke probably only once a week. That's after buying groceries, I enjoy it when I'm hot and tired but we don't buy it to keep at home, we prefer fruit juices.
There are some Ceres fruit from South Africa available at IGA, I haven't read the label yet for sugar content but the kids do like it too.

Hey, do you want to do a post for us re all the weight loss supplements that's out there. I just saw Today Tonight and some now say the guy who won the comp cheated because he used some supps, things like Green teas, fish oils. What's your stand on Hydroxy cut and the other stuff I saw advertised in the health mags?
Thermogenics? Any good?
I will trust your opinion as a pharmacist rather than all the advertising hype.
I did read on uni papers over the counter stuff have no guarantee because there's no reseach done on it?

Anonymous said...

Gawd. What's next? A healthy Snickers bar, fortified with 10 vitamins and minerals? And only 42 grams of sugar??