Friday, April 06, 2007

The Birds

I went running with about 300 cockatoos this morning. I don't know why this is happening, but huge groups of cockatoos are congregating around Woop Woop and are making an unholy racket. They have only been around for a week or so but it is quite disconcerting running along and having them flying around you squawking madly. Plus there is the poo factor. I have missed that so far, but you never know, that is a hazard of running outside.

I also did Cathe's Push Pull Upper Body Premix this morning. This is an awesome workout. I increased a lot of the weights this morning and actually dropped out some of the reps for something a little bit different. I swear that Cathe is obsessed by biceps and triceps. Mine are on fire every time and I'm pleased to say I did three sets of inverted pike shoulder presses no problem today.

Yesterday was a rest day however. I woke up with a really sore throat and decided it would be prudent to take a day off. Today I am feeling much better. I am amazed at how quickly I recovered as I was feeling totally lousy yesterday! I also did my Polar Fitness Test this morning, returning a VO2max (note this is not a true value - if you've ever done a proper VO2 max in a lab you will understand why!) of 57ml/kg/min! My lab tested value was 47ml/kg/min - but that was ten years ago when I had access to doing these things. However, it is higher than my last reading under similar conditions so I am confident that I have improved.

Whew, this is a long post for Good Friday. No meat today - instead we are having salmon. I think times have changed where fish is more of a delicacy these days than most meat. Hardly a sacrifice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL at the hazards of outdoor running! Although dodging poo might be interesting interval training, no???

:-)

little rene said...

That is so bizarre Liz that you are experiencing a bombardment of cockatoos as well. My sister and I were nearly driven crazy by their racket this morning while we were walking! We have never experienced anything like it before either.

A funny little coincedence :)

P.S. I hadn't even THOUGHT about the "poo" factor! Ewwwwwww!

Kek said...

The cockies have been a right pest here for months - I'm blaming the drought. My theory is they're coming in search of fruit trees and other food sources, since their natural sources aren't exactly plentiful.

Salmon - yum! We're having shellfish and blue-eye. Mmmm!

Magda said...

Hi Liz,

its the maggies here that give me grief. One particular swooper even had me change my running route.

I also had a sore throat yesterday but mine hasnt gone away so its a total rest and relax day for me today. I'm annoyed actually as I was hoping to get some good quality training in this weekend.

Have a great Easter.

Cheers Magda

RaeC said...

Wow, you have been busy as always!!

As for the cokatoos, at one time if they flew over you knew it was going to rain. Now I think it's probably Kek's explanation that is the right one. Keep dodgin'!!

Have a wonderful Easter hon xxx

Flea said...

On the West side the same, cockies all over the place and sooo noisy, we even had to honk at them to get out of our suburb road the other day, I think Kek is right, it must be the drought bringing them into the 'burbs, hopefully they won't become a pest like the seagulls, now that's a bird I hate .... and then you still see people feeding them! Now some days you can't sit with your kids in a park near the beach or the stupid things flock all around you and they are getting so cheeky.