Monday, April 23, 2007

"Love with Limits"

Caution: "Dieting" rant ahead!

Rae wrote a terrific post last week about her take on the Figure lifestyle and I am often asked what makes my preparation different and what my approach to eating is, what do I eat and how often do I eat?
For a start, I hate the word "diet" with a passion. "Diet" to me conjures up images of restriction, boredom, guilt and displeasure. Eating the same thing day in day out because that is what you've been told to eat by your "trainer" is a "diet". Living by rules such as no carbs after 3pm constitutes the "diet" mentality. Pretty stupid really if you train at night. No eating after 7pm - not really practical if you're a shift worker and you don't go to bed until midnight.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that "dieters" make up these rules that make no scientific sense and try to create an artificial set of parameters by which to live by. Sorry kids, but that sort of behaviour comes back to bite you on the butt. Why, because after awhile you can feel both emotionally and physically deprived.
It has been shown in many studies that people who diet tend to lose their innate ability to naturally regulate their food intake - this is called "counter regulation".
In order to be successful and stay lean in the long term it is important to recognize that
1) All foods are morally neutral. There is no such thing as "naughty food", except maybe for Rae's Meat Pie Pizza (only because it looks terrible). You can choose to eat it IF you want it, but do you really feel like it?
2) You will be more hungry on some days and less hungry on others and this fluctuates with your menstrual cycle (if you're a woman). Better to apply the 200 calorie, not 2000 calorie rule and have a little extra. Your body just may be trying to tell you something.
3) It is natural to overeat on occasion - the food looks good or it's a celebration or you're stressed out, tired etc. It's happened before and it will happen again ...guaranteed. Knowing this reduces the appeal of a "binge".
What does this mean for someone wanting to become lean for life? It doesn't mean running around stuffing yourself with abandon or scarfing down every junk food known to man. It means following a few nutritional basics and listening to your body - enjoying a nice restaurant meal every now and again without wondering what the macronutrient breakdown is and enjoying what you eat. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and lean sources of protein. I love spice and lots of flavour. I try new recipes all the time, even during comp prep and I keep my palate happy! Every now and again I have a nice dessert. The "secret" is all about balance.
For example I've tried two new recipes in the past three days. One was red curry chicken burgers with salad and baby potatoes. (red curry paste, onions, egg, breadcrumbs, chicken breast mince) and tonight I'm trying a beef stirfry with baby corn, snow peas, purple cabbage and red capsicum, plenty of ginger and garlic too. Nothing like a bit of colour to brighten your day.
My other thought of the day: Enjoy the journey - sure the end is the icing on the cake, but all the training in between is an awful lot of fun.

5 comments:

Flea said...

Great tips Liz! Like me today, my kids bought themselves chocolate eggs with their pocket money and instead of having one myself too I opt for having a small bit rather. Very sweet, it actually burned my throat!

Kek said...

Great post, Liz. I couldn't agree more. I've done the monotonous diet thing, and it gets old really fast! Variety, flavourful spices and the odd dessert or glass of wine keep me sane.

Oh, and I actually tried that meat pie pizza in Sydney... if you ask me, that's strictly man food! And weird - who puts peas on a pizza?

Sam D-M said...

Liz you are a fantastic writer, you make the complicated make sence! I always enjoy what you have to say and I think that your website is going to be a huge success!

Sam I Am

little rene said...

Well said Liz!

I tried the really strict approach once with a trainer and it seriously did me more harm than good. I ended up an emotional wreck, thinking that in order to look good my only option was to live on egg whites and cottage cheese :(

I also really enjoy reading your posts and I have a feeling I will be enlisting your services one of these days!

bev said...

I loved this post Liz.It all makes so much sense.I must admit I do struggle with the "diet"side of things.My problem is when I'm competing I'm dieting when I'm not competing I tend to overeat cos I dont have a set plan to follow.I think where I have gone wrong is making it too boring when dieting for comp and eating the same old same old.Its all a learning process and I love the fact I have come across "blogging" and all you wonderfully motivated people in our sport.
Thanks
Bev