Friday, February 16, 2007

I hate the word "Dieting"

"Desire Creates The Power" Raymond Holliwell

I'm on my soapbox having a little rant this morning. I've decided that I hate the word "dieting" - to me it connotates images of suffering and restriction, of displeasure and a distinct lack of freedom. When I prepare for a competition, I take a completely different tack. I am preparing for a sporting event and I am an athlete. For Figure Competition, which involves presentations at lower body fat levels than normal, this means approaching eating from a preparatory perspective..ie "how can I prepare for this event with joy and do it in a way that does not violate my principles regarding a "dieting scenario". Yes, I do have to manipulate my calorie levels and macronutrient levels to achieve this goal. I'm don't do it by means of displeasure, suffering and restriction. I do it by eating well, eating a wide variety of foods and keeping it interesting. I do it with joy, because as the quote above says, desire really does create the power. Apart from appearing on stage with excellent condition, it also means the road back to your fighting weight is not as bumpy.

I don't know why I even have the urge to write about this today as I'm happily off season but I do know that when it is time to compete again, that this is the approach I will be taking.

Today I thrashed the bike again doing RPM. The temps are relatively mild, but I sweated more than I feel I have my whole life! I'm glad I have another layer of carpet under my bike, because it really got hammered this morning.

6 comments:

Magda said...

Thank you Liz for this very meaningful post. It really struck a chord! I have a real love/hate relationship with dieting. I'm going to try to adopt your philosophy about desire creating strength and maybe the comp prep road will be less rocky.

Cheers

Magda

LizN said...

You're welcome Magda. Comp prep is supposed to be fun, uplifting and a challenge to mind, body and spirit ;)

Big hugs
Liz ;;)

Andrea said...

Hi Liz,
I think it is good psychology to think about dieting like this.
Mental preparation is half the battle. (For me 95%)
Andjxx

jodie said...

I am with you on the 'diet' word. Even though it is just a word, it conjures up the image of being deprived for me. So I prefer to use the term nutriton plan, much more positive...

Kek said...

Thanks for that Liz.... I was just starting to dread the thought of 'dieting' for my comp. I needed a new perspective. :-)

Spartze said...

Hey brillant post - thanks for sharing - it has made me stop and think.