Thursday, March 22, 2007

Just another day of paddling.

Sometimes those days that aren't particularly exciting are the most challenging to any good weight maintainer. Today I have been dealing with feelings of uncertainty now that DH is back ...what next? We think we know what should be happening but putting those plans into action is something else all together. Even though our goal is to move back to Brisvegas we are open to Melbourne or Perth or an overseas posting as well. Plus I have been feeling extremely bored in Woop Woop all day. What does this mean to me in "maintenance" - learning to deal with the feelings rather than stuffing down them down with a visit to the fridge! It's not easy with the fridge in full sight all day, but I deal with it by trying to keep busy and eating a wide variety of foods, especially those that take a long time to chew. Humans have an innate need to chew which is why seeing a protein shake on my menu is rather rare - I'd rather have a good munch than drink down all my calories in one fell swoop.

Anyway back to feelings - they often determine our response to events that impact on us. I am learning that it is regulating these feelings and keeping my emotions in check that keeps me on the straight and narrow. Not that I avoid feeling things, I just try and keep it all in perspective.

I went for an hour long walk this morning and had a low intensity day. Tomorrow I am going to attempt a two (yes, you heard right!) hour aerobic base building session on the bike. I'm looking forward to this, plus a nice long stretch afterwards.

5 comments:

Miss Positive said...

Ouch - TWO hours on the bike???!!! I collapse after 45 minutes of cycle class!

I'm the same in terms of eating vs drinking my calories - much rather eat than have a shake. Plus it takes longer and is usually more enjoyable. (except if we're talking about wine, then I'd rather drink!! LOL!)

Hilary xx

Anonymous said...

Liz, that's so true. Like you, I am an emotional eater. I use food (and exercise, I have to admit) often as a replacement for just dealing. It's good to be aware. :-)

I hope you guys are able to move wherever you like! Hopefully you'll be able to do some personal training in a gym - I think you'd be awesome!

Flea said...

Grab hubby now, drag him to the computer screen and read together:
PERTH PERTH PERTH PERTH, COME TO PERTH!! LOL

We have great schools, gyms, beaches, fellow bloggers and uhm every thing.
We are not as busy and mad as other cities and our weather is the best!

jodie said...

wowee 2 hours, go Liz. I am in awe.
I hope you figure out your next plan of attack in regards to moving. Follow your heart and do what makes you and your family happy for the long term.

RaeC said...

I absolutely LOVED the post-cardio photo you posted honey!!

This also was an awesome post. What it boils down to is the basic "how we respond is our choice!!" We can choose the path of excuses, or the hard path of fighting the temptation. Awesome to see you chose to fight!!

Fantastic Liz and I agree with Hann... COME TO PERTH!! xxx