Thursday, January 28, 2010

Struggle Street

Yes, that's me suffering from a good dose of BMW syndrome over my crook AC joint - bitch, moan and whine...

It's been a compelling reason to keep any goals I have quiet for now - I've had a flare up over the last couple of weeks (that came oddly after I spoke about my RPM goal, surprise surprise). The ol pelvis has chipped in to join the pity party and with this going on, I haven't felt much like blogging.

All of my injury complaints have been doing my head in - out of left field. Yesterday I receive a phone call from my mother - "you need to stop working at the gym and do your GAMSAT - you know you'd be a fantastic doctor". Then, I spoke to hubs, telling him the "crazy thing" my mother had told me to do. Expecting him to say, "that's just crazy," he instead told me that my mother was actually right and that I should go for it because I would be awesome.

GAMSAT is the Graduate Admissions Medical Test here - it's a 6 hour exam and to actually get through it would be a marvellous achievement in itself so I have thoughts of giving it a crack just for the heck of it. The problem is that if I went to UQ, although I fulfil Grade Point Av requirements, it's been more than 10 years since I did my last degree (oh dear, that sounds like I collect them) which may put me out of the running. The last time I fronted up for GAMSAT, I found I was preggers with Miss S, so I had to cancel the exam as I couldn't picture studying medicine with a young baby.

Incidentally applications close next week - have been trying to feel if this is where the universe is trying to direct me......could I, should I, this would be a huge decision and have to be done for the right reasons....

On other fronts, our house is nearing completion - floorboards are being polished next week, pool fence to be certified, pool to be filled and carpets and flyscreens to be organized after the handover - very excited about new house and my new office :)

9 comments:

Kerry W said...

Wishing you all the best with your decisions Liz! I don't envy all the choices and decisions you have to make. Sometimes there can be so much happening that we don't know if maybe the universe has already given us some direction, and we haven't just missed the signs....I don't know! I'm sure you will make the right decision.

As far as the house stuff...exciting times. Maybe you might gain some clarification once you're in your new home???

Kerry XOX

Nicole said...

Go for it - you've got nothing to lose!! If you don't, will you always wonder 'what if?'. How exciting about your house nearly being finished!!! I can see a big house warming party coming up!! :) Nicole xx

P.S. my word verification was PEEDICE - what the??

Dianna Broeren said...

I really hope you go for the GAMSAT! You were granted that intelligence for a reason Liz :)

Witchazel said...

My humble opinion is GO FOR IT!!! I told Tara the same thing... JUST JUMP!!! If you don't do it you will always be wondering, and anyway isn't the golden rule.. always listen to your Mother they know best!!! LOL
Hope your injuries are feeling better soon and have fun deciding...

ss2306 said...

Dr Elizabeth Nelson - looks good to me.

Calling you later today after I get home from MOW - hope Frank doesn't go pissing today (lol).

Sam D-M said...

Liz, you inspire me daily. Good luck with the decision! I am sure it wont take you long, you strike me as a decisive person :)

Unknown said...

Do it! I would totally study medicine if it was an option here. But, guess what? I'm too old. Therefore I'm going to be a Psych instead. It takes JUST AS LONG, but apparently you are allowed to be old and study the brain, just not the whole body.. Do it FOR ME.

Unknown said...

Er.. that last comment was from me (Sara in NZ). I seem to be logged in from the consultancy address. Oops.

Jude said...

Go for it if it is what you desire. You would be good at it - you enjoy so much of the rehab and medical side of training and all the research it involves.

Just don't forget the girls your training, coz we need you.....