Monday, December 17, 2007

Save the Cheerleader, save the world OR..


Change your thinking, change your life!

Lately I have been doing a lot of reflecting about how your thinking affects the way you live, move and breathe. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that learning to think objectively is the cornerstone to success in the whole physique transformation process, and rest of life really.

Think about the messages you give yourself - if they are generally negative, they poison your heart, soul and spirit. I call it "poisonous thinking", Dave Greenwalt calls it "stinkin thinkin" - and as you can imagine it's pretty unhelpful. I cannot tell you how many emails I have had over the years where said client beat themselves up over their mistakes ..you know, how stupid and incompetent they are..they're failures...you get the drift..... and you thought I was going to beat you over the head?

Now imagine if in the same situation you began to look at your thoughts more objectively and made decisions based on these thoughts instead. What if you said "Hmm, what triggered this reaction. OK, I was feeling anxious about "x". What could I do to tackle this situation better next time. OK...a) b) c) d). I'll move on from this mistake now. Mistakes give us an opportunity to learn and grow". Bet you're already feeling better.

Another theme that is common is those seeking success is the "when I lose weight..I will then...". I was a victim of this mentality myself before I made changes. I would always say 'when I lose weight, then I will book the holiday, buy the clothes etc". I had to learn to live in the "now" and accept myself for where I was at that stage of the journey. Accepting yourself as you are is truly key. It doesn't mean that you're not wanting to seek self improvement, but rather your eyes are open to the possibility of what you CAN achieve versus what you CAN'T.

On that note, I'm off to "therapy"!

7 comments:

little rene said...

Couldn't agree more Liz and it has taken me a LONG time to realise this!

It is very liberating to "live in the now"! I think I am becoming addicted to it :)

Have a great day xxx

Raechelle said...

KUDOS!
Good blog!

Lisa said...

Well written coach!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post today Liz. It sounds to me like we're both travelling on very similar paths with very similar trains of thoughts. The power of the human mind is severely under estimated if you ask me. Me I try desperately to always look at my glass half full, otherwise what's the point! :o)

Lia xx

Em said...

Great post hun, Makes alot of sense :)
Have a great week hun:)
Em:)

Waffles said...

WOW-popping in for the first time and what a post to read!! Im a negative self talker from way back but you have made me stop and think.

You look fabulous too by the way and I cannot believe your transformation:) Awesome!!

LizN said...

Thanks girls :)

Hi Em, welcome to my blog - you'll find lots of good stuff in here in regards to physique transformation, enjoy!