Tuesday, December 29, 2009

On loving yourself lean

"Making an allowance reflects that there will be a large variety of foods to choose from over the Christmas period and that it's perfectly OK to eat a few treat foods over this time and enjoy time spent with friends and family. Having a few treat meals and different foods and enjoying time with friends and doesn't cause the Christmas weight gain, it is the self destructive thoughts and behaviours around this different food and not making an allowance for yourself that cause the problem. Underlying issues of restriction, rebellion and "discipline" can really backfire on the person wanting to stay lean over the holidays.

This is completely different from overindulging until you hurt and making the excuse that "it was Christmas time". Making an allowance will make you feel good about yourself - ironically by giving away "control" you find true control because you're holding the reins. Making an excuse and trying to grit your teeth and "stay strong" is a soul destroying, self esteem crushing venture"

Bugger, can't seem to turn off the bold or italic functions and here I was thinking I was really smart. My question to you all is did you make an allowance for yourself over Christmas or did you try and "stay strong".

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I chose to "make allowances" and enjoy some Christmas foods. I didn't try to "stay strong" - I just ate what I felt like and didn't train for four days. I gave myself what I needed for Christmas, some time with family and friends, a few slices of cheesecake and plenty of rest. Now I wonder if anyone is imagining that doing such dreadful thing would cause them to wake up as a complete fat heifer five days later......

The answer is "no". As a bit of an experiment and a testimonial to the fact that long term success is about your internal locus of control and respect for one's self I weighed myself on Christmas Eve and then I weighed myself this morning. This morning after all that indulgence and supposed lack of discipline, I am 1.5kg lighter.

There is a place for logging food and being particular with your nutrition, but there's also a place for learning to be more intuitive as well. The balance between both methods is entirely up to you. The thread that draws it all together is the concept of being able to "love yourself lean". The cornerstone of living lean for the long term is bolstering your self worth.

To sum up - start to learn to trust yourself. You just may find that you're not the 'broken' individual you thought you were.



9 comments:

Shar said...

Nice work Liz!!!
Holiday with Family - have a few treats and enjoy, no fighting allowed, I came back 0.8kg lighter at 31 weeks preggers when everybook, website etc says I will be gaining each and every week from here on in.
Same for Christmas - I did the same as you, although I walked alot and went back to class yesterday.

Your body obviously wanted / needed / appreciated the no training and took the opportunity to release.
have a great new year
Shar x

Vix said...

Couldn't agree more Liz. I think if there is a time to ditch the kitchen scales and make allowances, this is it. To me Christmas shouldn't be a time of restriction (and hence resentment of what you "can't" eat), it's a time to relax a little and enjoy the time with your loved ones...and this usually revolves around meal times during the festive season. I have kept my training up on the days the gym has been open (but had time off training a few weeks ago) but have pretty much eaten what I have felt like, when I have felt like it, and therefore haven't felt the need to binge. Back to it in the new year but til then - intuition is what's guiding me :)

Kerry W said...

Love your attitude Liz!

In spite of my weight gain, which didn't just happen over 5 days mind you, I didn't go crazy stupid with food or get all hung up during Christmas. I really enjoyed a good rest and time with family and friends, as you did. And in spite of the gain, I know that it will come off again. Like you said in your comments...one workout & one meal at a time! ;)

Raechelle said...

Ha ha! eating without analyzing...what a novel concept! ;-) good on ya!

Tara said...

I didn't "stay strong" I ate what I wanted. the only thing I really tried to moderate was my alcohol consumption.

Unknown said...

I had the weekend off exercise, slept lots and ate what and when I felt like it. The result was no weight gain and looking forward to training today - pretty happy about that :o)

LizN said...

Hey guys, nice work on going with the flow!

Tara, I don't drink , so I often forget about the effects of the grog...

ss2306 said...

Well I ate, drank and didn't exercise and don't know what the scales would say and don't give a fuck anyway.

LizN said...

Shel, good for you :) especially the end bit!