Saturday, October 14, 2006

Not feeling so flash....

I've been deliberating whether to post now or not, wondering what the reaction I get to this may be.

I've had a shocker of a week, especially emotionally. After the high of the competition, I got a phone call from my Mum telling me that I had rocks in my head even thinking I could be competitive in the competition due to my belly skin, that my fourth place finish was trying to tell me something and that I had taken things too far and that my whole family thought that I was selfish and bordering on anorexic. I have been feeling pretty fragile as until now, my mother has been one of my staunchest supporters. I stayed with my parents up until two weeks before the comp and I can certainly understand if they thought I was being super particular as I was weighing out portions, practicing posing and routine etc, but anorexic was totally left field as far as I am concerned. So I have had thoughts such as "should I bother doing Nationals?" running around my head as I don't want to get up there if I don't look the part and wondering if I really am deluding myself thinking I can compete in Figure. It has been a weird feeling telling various others I came 4th as I think they all expected me to win or place and I have been feeling like I've been pitied, even though as I said to them all before, I was just happy to get up there on stage.

Then I copped a similar lecture from hubs and after a lot of discussion, I think he understood where I was coming from, what my motivation has been in competing etc.

Another layer of stress has been the blow up with the Woop Woop Warehouse. I wasn't going to go back there and train at all, but I enjoy my strength training and I feel sad at the thought of going backwards, even though I can do much of my training at home. I feel wretched at the thought of having to live here a minute longer and feel myself sinking into a depression as I try and accept where we are living. I have been here for six months and have yet to make many friends, and not for lack of trying either.

I am also finding it hard to keep everyone entertained as there is not a lot to do here. So silly me cooks up patty cakes and Viennese Kisses with the girls and I end up trolling and having a massive binge on fat and sugar. Not like me at all - I know after last comp, I had some moments like this but what upsets me is that I failed to see all the upset preceeding it, chose my trigger foods (baking, baked goods) and stuffed my face and not in a good way either - that furtive 'shovel it down as fast as you can and hope nobody sees' style behaviour. Not good.

Another pattern I notice is a desire in me to have things planned and settled. Not knowing what my goals are for next year or even after next month is driving me nuts. Not knowing where I will be living doesn't help either. Having a plan or a WHY as Coach says is the most important step of all - so it is time for a WHY revision, me thinks.
However, it is over and I just have to focus on moving away from it one meal at a time. I am not going to be too restrictive, but rather focus on cleaning it up a bit at a time. And focus on eating a variety of foods, rather than the same recipes - I know I got dependent on using the same recipes before the comp as I was away and chose foods I knew worked for me, so I am going to work in some small changes whether it is the flavour of the protein powder or different salad green or veggie. I am going to be more mindful of Lifestyle rather than "diet". As for the Nationals, I think I should do them. I have 14 days to really focus and that is exactly what I am going to do.

I also need to focus on some of the positives - where I've come from, that I've had some terrific clients since being here and learned how I make the best improvements :)

11 comments:

LizN said...

Thanks Lia, I really appreciate your comments. I do feel better after a normal dinner. I might email you in the morning :0

Hugs back at ya,
Liz ;)

Bug's Mumma said...

It is hard when people dont understand what you are doing and just label you as anorexic. I had an argument with my grandmother the day after comp as she accussed me of starving myself to compete and said that I am bordering on anorexic. She told me that I shouldnt compete again as I'm looking too skinny and horrible. The thing is though, my sister has packed on around 20kg and my grandmother doesnt say anything to her.

Don't feel weird when you tell people that you came 4th and try not to worry about other people's expectations - they dont realise the hard work and sacrifices that go into this sport. I've had to re-tell everyone that I actually came 6th (when the results were published during the week) and I started to feel like a bit of an idiot. But hey, at the end of the day, I got up there and competed against girls who has been training for years :D

Drop me an email if you need to chat.

xo

Anonymous said...

Liz,

Look at the photos and tell us that you aren't a top figure competitor! You look more amazing than ever. Most of the girls who compete that have had kids have a bit of excess skin I've noticed!
You can't even tell from the audience. Remeber that the judging in this sport is extremely subjective and what one lot of judges think on one day is completely different to what another lot of judges think on another day. You are good at this!
It must be soo hard living out there at Bilo. You have come too far not to go to nationals.
Your mum watched you go through the hardest part of the cometition over the past two weeks - to someone who doesn't know much about it all, all the weighing and measuring would seem a little strange - sometimes it can be difficult to help people to see things from another point of view.
Don't worry about the cakes and things - you know what you are doing becasue it is an ingrained habit for you now.
When the comps are over you can take a bit of time to reassess.
Remember - you are a winner because you made it to national in the first place.
Love lots,
Andreaxx

Splice said...

Liz, your post brought a tear to my eye. I don't know why life sets out these challenges but one thing I do know is, is that you can get past them.
Listen to the people who understand bodybuilding and competing. The ones who dont know it, can't possibly give you the right advice.
I can't tell you enough times how sensational you look. The evidence is there, look at the photos Liz hun.
I have been a little up and down with my nutrition this weekend and am trying not to stress about it. But we both know it isn't fat, its fluid and two weeks is plenty of time to pull into shape for the comp.
So lets focus on that as of now :-)
I am going down to Mel purely for the experience of it all. My nerves get the better of me and I need to start getting over that but its going to take time.
I am glad you will be on stage with me.
Please call me if I can help with anything.
Love,
Deb xxx

Miss Positive said...

Wow Liz it sounds like you are really up against it. I can understand the feeling of uncertainty, the "not knowing" of the future, to the point of not even knowing where you're going to be living!

From what I've seen, competing is a very mental sport, and it seems to be something that others dont understand. I know my partner isn't too hot on me competing, for the simple fact that he thinks I've "gone far enough"!!

I think your decision to do Nationals is a great one - how many people can say they've done that! For what its worth, I didn't see any 'belly skin' on you, and with all the food you eat, you know damn well that you're not anorexic!

Hope you're feeling better!

Hilary xx

sarahz said...

Hi Liz
Do the nationals. This is your passion and dream and try not to worry about what other people think. You look great.
Sarah

LizN said...

Hi guys,

I'm feeling a little better. Thanks for your support and caring - it means so much to me. I'll probably post a little later on in the day.

Hugs
Liz N

Jadey said...

Lizzie!

I know exactly where you are coming from and like Lia, I think we have all had those sort of comments to some degree... I was told I looked disgusting the few weeks before comp and that I was tooo skinny from family and hubby but ultimately, they really don't understand... Sometimes I think they just think we are trying to get thinner and thinner rather than the fact that we are 'athletes' enjoying our chosen passion in life!

I was blown away by what you have achieved and even more impressed that you did it after TWO kiddies! That is a life changing achievement, do what's in your heart...

The most important thing is that you are following your goals and passions in life and after this comp, it's just time to set some new goals and get one meal at a time back on track!

You are beautiful and you are inspiring and amazing! You can be anything you want to be in this life, it's just a choice away!

Love you - Jadey xx

LizN said...

Jadey, you hit the nail on the head - they do sometimes think that we are just trying to be thinner, but at least we know that that isn't the case at all. And yes, back on track one meal at a time.

Big hugs
Liz ;)

Ali said...

I am pleased to hear you are still going to compete at the Nationals Liz!!

Although I have no expereince with what it is like to compete, I have learnt one thing and that is that this sport is so very subjective, nothing seems to be really cut and dry at all. Not like running a race and being the first one over the finish line so to speak.

Your dedication commitment and determination is truely inspirational, and you owe it to yourself to do whats right for you.

Funny no one seems to think of marathon runners as starving and anorexic (because they aren't of course) but they can look a little undernurished after a huge race!

Take care and have a great week,

Alixxx

Jodi said...

Hey Liz I was crying when I read your post.....everyone in my life hates that I am the "fit" one and I am ALWAYS being told it is because of my post aneroxia/bulima days etc.....what I constantly tell them is the way I have managed to move past those days is because of having a healthy lifestyle.

My mum packed on weight after having total hysterectomy (don't know how to spell that) but because she put on a little weight due to hormonal problems she eats crap every day because she says "Ican't do anything about it" which gets my goat.....she says she can not afford to eat healthy because of her pension but she can buy lollies, donuts the likes etc because she thinks it is cheap instead of doing what I do and buying veggies in bulk, freezing them and making up soups etc. My partner bites my head off all the time for being so strict with my eating, my friends say "food is for enjoyment and you are missing out on life" I am constanly bombarded and I hate it. Everyone wants you to be fat to make them feel better I am sure of it. I understand totally where you are coming from.....to me you are TOTALLY inspiring....I love following your blog....I love your passion and your willingness to tell us your faults....to me you seriously are the hottest 37 (aren't you 38 now? you had a birthday recently) mum I know and I seriously look up to you and want to be like you.

I can't imagine why you aren't making friends.....I would love so much to live near you as I find you so inspiring, a beautiful person with a wonderful heart and soul....someone I would be sincerely proud to call my friend.

To me you look gorgeous and amazing in your comp photos......I couldn't see anything wrong with your stomach at all....I should send you a photo of my stomach!

My email address is jelliott@mcs.net.au if you ever need to talk....I know there are others you would rather speak to than me but I will always be there if you need to talk.

Keep smiling, your photo shows such a beautiful, vibrate woman!

Big hugs for you liz.