Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What's wrong with this word?

No, it's not "shit", "f**K" or even "c***".

No, the word is "enough" and how we choose to apply it to ourselves.

Today I taught Step class and a beautiful tall athletic girl approaches me about personal training and who I'd recommend.
"My clothes don't fit "(read ' I'm not good enough')
"My arms are flabby" (read 'they're not good enough')
"I just don't feel fit" (read 'I'm not fit enough')

Enough, enough, enough, blah, blah, blah.

I turned to this beautiful young thing and said, "did you see yourself in Step? You were amazing. You ARE amazing and you're smoking hot. You don't need to lose weight, you need to change your mindset to amazing yourself with your feats of fitness, getting fitter, faster and stronger".
"I've never looked at it this way before." (read 'you mean I'm good enough just as I am?')
"Dismissed!" ( "Amen," sister!)

Today I chose to dismiss "enough" and decided to be amazing today. RPM was amazing and so was Bodystep. Now off to a rehearsal for the new one - my affirmation is when faced by difficult choreo " I can, I can, I can!"

Hope you all have an amazing day!

2 comments:

Stephanie Davis said...

great post! Its too accepted for bunch of women to sit around and put themselves down and anyone who doesn't join in or *gasp* has high self esteem is somehow 'up themselves'! i like to give others a boost with genuine compliments too, bet u made her day :)

Jude said...

Gee Liz. Not a long post but **amazingly** good food for thought.I think I am going to choose to be amazing today.

We all need to reprogram ourselves to think like this I think. I am sure we can all truly find something amazing about ourselves if we try.