Wednesday, October 03, 2007

personality and the internet

I was reading LIVY's post about loneliness, social contact and the internet. I felt for her as I know only how awful I felt about living in Woop Woop - and Livy's personal "Woop Woop" is a lot more remote than mine was.

Some of you may laugh but underneath it all, I'm a rather introspective introvert (does that make sense). I love to hang out with like minded people, but on many days I liken myself to a crab - love a moment in the sun, but also enjoy scuttling back under my rock for a bit of solitude. I find the Internet a real haven for my INFJ (check out the Kiersey Temperament Sorter!) nature - I can interact with others in all sorts of deep and meaningful ways at my pace, my place.

Some people make the mistake of thinking that introverts don't like hanging out with others. I don't like hanging out with large groups of people I don't know. I am no party starter (OK, except in RPM), but with people who I know well and within small groups, I am passionate and intense!

To sum up, I think the friendships you can make online are really worth it. I've met so many great people in the Figure/bodybuilding area and have been lucky now to have met many in real life. That's why I'm contemplating Jen Hendershott's Phat Camp in Melbourne next year - a chance to get together and be passionate about what we're all interested in :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% Liz. I'm very home orientated and to a degree some what anti-social. So I can appreciated what you're saying here. :o)

When you come down next year for phat camp we HAVE TO stay together followed by a trip over to Koko Black, of course. LOL!!

Lia xx

Anonymous said...

you sound like me LOL! I can so relate to what you posted, hhmmm..

Andrea said...

Hi Liz,
I understand where you are coming from. I sometimes find it difficult to be myself entirely around people I don't know - but the internet takes away the awkwardness of direct social contact. Very insightful post!
Andjxx

Kek said...

You should definitely do Phat Camp, Liz...I just made up my mind yesterday that I'll go again. Off to register now...

Sienna said...

I really like the crab analgy. They do socialize, but also like time alone. I guess people do kind of think that people who are like yourself (fit, beautiful, yada, yada, yada) are also extroverted and over the top. But, I find the opposite is true. Many of my most beautiful friends are also the quietest and most easy going.

Flea said...

Oh count me in! I'm the same I appreciate my good friends can be a bit of an extrovert in only their company but put me between strangers and I clam up too. That's why I love the Internet as well, I feel I can say my say the way I want to express it and not get bombarded by others.

Splice said...

I agree with you Liz, I have met the best people online and have travelled through my journey's with the support of each and every one of them which has made it so wonderful.
I met you at your very first comp through Andj who I met online, it's great :-)
Deb

jodie said...

From one INFJ to another - I so get this post! Good one Liz.

ms_attitude said...

LOL... I'm an INFP!!!
Totally hear you