Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Home on the Range


Today I woke up not feeling like going to the gym - was a bit clogged up in the head this morning and thought I was developing a head cold. I decided to take my workout to home base this morning instead and did Spinervals 25 - Aerobase Builder 5, The Compilation. I think I've mentioned this DVD before - it's basically a workout where you work at about 75% of max heart rate and learn to become aerobically more efficient. It's been a fair while since I've done this, so water bottle and IPOD all connected and Coach Troy's music switched off, I got going. According to my own bad self, 75% max for me is in the 139-145 bpm range and I surprised myself by having to whack on a good bit of load to get my heart rate up which was very challenging. I did 5 out of the 6 working sets - I simply had no more to give to set 6 and 1 hour and 40 very sweaty minutes later, I was done!
Coach Troy says all sorts of interesting things about cycling and technique along the way, including his favourite - "sometimes you have to slow down in order to get faster". Oh so true! Since I've been teaching so much Hi Performance and felt I had a good aerobic base, I've let the concept of aerobic base building slide. It was a good wake up call to remind me of its importance.
Which brings me onto other things - the notion that people are sometimes too accommodating of themselves when trying to reach a goal, myself included. It's the, "this little bit won't hurt me" syndrome. Unfortunately, if you're trying to go anywhere with any sort of resolution, the "this little bit won't hurt me" scenario just doesn't work. I'm talking about not just fitness and eating - it applies to most of life. In order to reach that goal, you need to get rid of the excuses. This is where the concept of balance can get temporarily thrown out and rightly so - has anyone prepped for a competition and kept on top of everything else in life - you can't be good at everything when you're seeking out excellence in ONE thing.
On that note, it's time for a bit of relaxation at Chez Liz :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great workout.

Hope you had a nice relaxing evening.

Kek said...

I love that workout.....don't know about the 5 sets though. Eek! Funny, last time I did it, it had been a while and I noticed I had to increase the load too.

Nice to have evidence of improved fitness!

Em said...

That sounds like one hell of a workout hun!
I have decided that when I get my family holiday sorted out that I am going to treat myself to a visit with you and join one of your RPM classes hmm is that a treat or punishment LOL don't know when but this one thing I would love to do :)
hehe I need my head read LOL
Em:)