Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Loving the Loser

Before I get to the meat and potatoes of today's post: Training - done - yeah! Eating: great, but feeling a bit peckish today..this will pass.. one of the trials and tribulations of competing..you can get hungry but it passes with the next good meal.

Today's post is all about celebrating imperfections and failure. Because if we didn't have failure, what incentive would we have to achieve anything? Failing and being less than perfect is really important for long term personal growth.

I don't have enough fingers, nor toes to count the number of times I've failed at one thing or another. I don't have enough fingers or toes to count the number of times I've failed at ONE thing only. The greatest measure of success I have is that I failed enough times to finally do something about it (losing and keeping my weight off is a great personal example). Once I realized that nothing changes if nothing changes I was able to set myself to the task of losing 35 kilos. I am still a work in progress as I continually learn about living lean and loving life. The biggest difference between those who succeed and those who fail again and again is the response to failure.

Beating yourself up for making a mistake never works. I am guilty as charged when it comes to this - taking a step back and finding perspective...hard work but priceless. Recently my Inner Gollum and had a field day with me - I overate due to an underlying emotional driving factor - looking from the outside it appeared that not only had I "failed" my training regime, I also "failed" for a moment with my eating. Following on from that (and from what most people do) I should be now labelling myself as a fat disgusting pig...WRONG. Winning from this experience means looking at what I was thinking before I took the first bite and evaluating or disputing its' validity. And once I've worked out what went wrong and what steps I can take in the futre to diminish the likelihood of reoccurrence, I can then take a big step into the light, say "NEXT!" and get on with it.

And that's EXACTLY what I did. Dave calls it "failing forward".

The END.

2 comments:

ss2306 said...

You channelling me?

One word - "NEXT!"

Katherine Mansfield (NZ Author) wrote:

"When we begin to take our failures non-seriously, it means we are ceasing to be afraid of them. It is of immense importance to learn o laugh at ourselves."

Kerry W said...

Another enjoyable post Liz. Talking about 'failing forward', just reminded me of a book I have, and I think I will read it again. It's called 'Failing Forward - Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success', by John C.Maxwell. Hmmmmm...thanks - I think you've just given me a topic for a post!

Ciao for now and have a great week and Easter!